Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Moby Dick

Spiritual insights can be found almost anywhere and everywhere. We are not always aware of why we are directed to something or someplace, but when we are it is usually for use to gain understanding.

The trick is to be aware of what is happening. If you are aware, you are prepared to meet the experience head on and learn from it. If you are not, at best, you may realize after the event is over that something significant happened. The idea is to be there while it is happening so you can get the most out of it.

Now, not every event is going to earth-shattering. Sometimes, these events are small. They are done just to push you in a direction or to show you something new or to get you asking the right questions.

I will discuss how to be ready for these events in an upcoming post. For now, I will show you an example of one of them.

FIrst, I will set it up. It began some 10 years ago while watching an episode of "Star Trek Next Generation". In that show, Capt. Picard quoted something from Moby Dick. I can't recall what he said, but I found the quote interesting. So much so, that I decided to buy the book and read it for the first time as an adult.

While reading the book, I suddenly discovered that Herman Melville was one who knew.

At the time, it was not a big deal, but it got me thinking of others in the past-especially Westerners-who also might have known.

Moby Dick is an interesting book overall. Besides the basic story that most of us know, he has a lot of information on whales and other scientific observations. He also advocated for controls on whaling because he felt they were being overfished. That was over 150 years ago!

See my next post for the details of exactly what I discovered about Melville.....

No comments: